E3G, FCDO and EIB are hosting a public event at the COP27 MDB Pavilion, addressing innovative MDB financing for adaptation.
Tune into the livestream on Thursday 10 November, 17:00-18:30 GMT+2
- Mr Daouda Ndiaye, Lead Climate change expert and co-chair of MDB Adaptation Working Group, Islamic Development Bank
- Mr Gareth Phillips, Chief Climate Change and Green Officer, African Development Bank
- Dr Purvi Mehta, Deputy Director for Agriculture – Asia, Gates Foundation
- Ms Diann Black-Layne, Climate Change Ambassador and Director of the Department of Environment, Government of Antigua & Barbuda
- Mr Frederick Ouma, Climate Finance Negotiator, Government of Kenya
- Moderator: Sonia Dunlop (E3G)
COP27 must be a COP of delivery on adaptation finance. The climate finance offer on adaptation remains short on the requirements of the doubling of adaptation commitments, and more importantly, it falls short of the full scale of adaptation needs in vulnerable countries. It is only by moving beyond business as usual that we can close the widening gap between the costs and the finance allocated to adaptation.
The UK FCDO and E3G have therefore delivered a series of closed-door virtual workshops ahead of COP27 on innovative solutions to MDB adaptation finance. The aim of these workshops has been to coordinate across the MDB system and better mainstream adaptation finance within the development finance ecosystem. This has involved identifying new or scalable innovative financial instruments, locating promising significant sources of further adaptation finance from MDBs, and understanding how to better leverage private sector finance for adaptation.
This in-person event at COP27, co-hosted with EIB (co-chair of the adaptation sub-group), is the final workshop of the series. It will bring together the conclusions of the previous three workshops, provide a platform for discussing the impetus for more innovative adaptation finance, and serve as an opportunity for learning from ongoing adaptation finance initiatives.
This in-person event will be taking place Thursday 10th November, 17:00 -18:30 GMT+2 (Cairo time zone), at COP27 Sharm el Sheikh – MDB Pavilion. Please email email@example.com to confirm your attendance.