German Marshall Fund (GMF) hosted an event discussing Europe’s energy and economic crisis. Hear from expert speakers on the actions that can be taken to mitigate the risk of energy poverty in Europe, a possible wholesale market reform of the energy sector, Russia’s strategic manipulation of sources and more.
Date: 13 December 2022
Time: 5pm CET / 4pm GMT / 11am EST
Event description: The Winter of Discontent: Europe’s Energy and Economic crisis
This winter will test Europe’s commitment to transforming its energy markets and defending Ukraine. Despite promises from European governments to secure the energy supplies while keeping prices down, Europe faces worrying economic forecasts. What actions must be taken to mitigate the number of households confronting energy poverty this winter? What would wholesale market reform of the energy sector look like? How has Russia’s strategic manipulation of Europe’s energy sources changed the geopolitical calculus in Europe? To discuss these questions and more, we will speak with experts Lisa Fischer and Oliver Ruhnau in this month’s edition of #TransatlanticTuesdays.
- Sudha David-Wilp, Director GMF Berlin Office
- Kristine Berzina, Managing Director, GMF North
- Lisa Fischer, Program Leader, Climate-Neutral Energy Systems, E3G
- Oliver Ruhnau, Postdoctoral researcher, Centre for Sustainability, Hertie School Berlin
- Georg Zachmann, Senior Fellow, Bruegel