This on-the-record E3G press briefing examined the state of play ahead of COP28 and expectations for the Summit.
Watch the recording
E3G experts in geopolitics, loss and damage, and energy briefed select press contacts on why the UAE summit matters and the opportunities COP28 presents within a wider setting of geopolitical fragmentation, energy security and worsening climate impacts.
- Alden Meyer on the state of play of climate diplomacy since COP27 and where it leaves expectations for COP28 in a challenging geopolitical and economic context.
- Lisa Fischer on the energy transition since COP27 and how clean energy can be a driver of development, and what we need to see from COP28 to accelerate the energy system transition.
- Ana Mulio Alvarez on the loss and damage fund and what needs to be delivered at COP28, and key next steps for the global goal on adaptation.
- Leo Roberts on phasing out coal and evaluating the future of fossil fuels, and how COP28 can close the emissions gap.
- Alex Scott on how COP28 can accelerate financial system transformation and the next steps to setting out a practical pathway for delivering reforms and new capital.