Senior Policy Advisor, MDBs, Public Banks and Sustainable Finance
E3G Inc. seeks a dynamic climate advocate to support its work to influence international finance institutions to become leaders of the transition to a climate-safe world. This position will be based in Washington DC, part of a strong transatlantic team focused on International Financial Institutions—including the multilateral development banks, national development finance institutions, and national and sub-national public banks—each of which has a critical role to play in delivering a better, greener, and more resilient recovery from the COVID-19 crisis.
E3G Inc. is an independent climate change think tank with a global outlook and a fast-growing office in Washington DC. We work on the frontier of the climate landscape to make the necessary possible, tackling the barriers and advancing the solutions to a safe climate. Our goal is to translate climate politics, economics and policies into action. We are world leading strategists on the political economy of climate change, consistently ranked as one of the top-ten most influential environmental think tanks in the world by the University of Pennsylvania.
Role & Responsibilities
- Influencing and shaping: Setting out the opportunities and benefits of climate-safe development and the role of policy and public finance in this transition. Includes a focus on policy, finance and institutional reform.
- Overcoming barriers: Engaging at the national and international level in key countries and through strategic networks to identify the political, institutional and policy barriers to scaling up public and development bank investments in delivering climate safety.
- Generating solutions: Identifying and communicating how public finance can be deployed to catalyse transformational change and accelerate understanding and support for mechanisms and institutional responses that achieve this.
- Building support: Disseminating successful approaches to refocusing public finance to support sustainable and resilient development and creating opportunities for accelerating learning, replication and scale-up of these approaches.
- Helping lead and manage stakeholder coalitions: Building and maintaining E3G relationships and networks with key political, institutional, business and civil society coalitions.
- Building a stronger E3G: Offering support on project and proposal work within the wider E3G team, as required, and contributing to the wider development of E3G as an organization.
- At least 5-7 years of relevant professional experience, with progressive levels of responsibility and a track record of achievement in an international context.
- Strong English-language communication skills, and the ability to influence senior decision-makers from government, business, finance, and civil society.
- Strong strategic and political understanding, including of the challenges of sustainable development; working knowledge of finance and economics in relation to climate change.
- Can prioritize achieving outcomes over running activities.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (required); post-graduate qualification in a relevant discipline (desired).
- Experience managing stakeholder partnerships, preferably in the climate space; experience working with or within developing countries.
- Additional experience within and around the US government, and strong civil society networks, would be desirable; as would experience fundraising from philanthropic and/or government sources; and/or experience with DC-based IFIs (World Bank Group, IMF, IADB).
- Must be a strong team player, committed to achieving E3G’s overall objectives.
E3G Inc. is the U.S.-based affiliate of E3G which has offices in London, Brussels, and Berlin. E3G values diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background. This is envisaged as a full-time role, however E3G Inc. is open to considering part-time or flexible arrangements. Post pandemic, international travel will be required.
A remuneration package competitive with the non-profit sector will be offered. E3G Inc. operates a flexible working environment, and in the context of COVID-19, remote work may be considered. However, candidates must have Washington DC as an anchor working location and have the right to work in the USA. E3G Inc. is unable to provide relocation assistance or visa support.
Please submit in English (i) a CV of maximum two pages and (ii) a cover letter of no more than one page outlining why you are applying for this role, when you would be able to start, and confirming your right to work in the USA. Please combine the CV and cover letter into one file.
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following subject line: Senior Policy Advisor Public Banks Firstname Surname. The deadline for applications is midnight EST on Sunday March 7th. Interviews will be held in the first half of March. Please note that we will not be able to reply to every applicant due to limited resources.